Torrance Memorial Burn Survivor Shares Message About The Proper Use of Space Heaters

06 Mar Torrance Memorial Burn Survivor Shares Message About The Proper Use of Space Heaters

Shannon Collins, 21, of Torrance, California, who lived through a deadly fire when she was a child is now spreading awareness on how to properly use space heaters. The burn survivor hugged Torrance Memorial Medical Center nurses and one of the doctors who took care of her for nearly two months while she was being treated at Torrance Memorial Burn Center.

In 2006, Collins and 12 other family members spent Christmas at their grandparents’ house. A space heater, which later would be determined as the cause of the fire, was left on in the living room over night. While many were able to escape the fire uninjured, Collins suffered burns to her right arm and escaped by jumping through a window. Due to the burn injuries, she was hospitalized for over a month.

Learn about her story:

CBS Los Angeles.

La Opinion.

'Upon seeing the fire, I crawled out the window'